4.05.2005

Wonder Showzen

Why have I not already heard about this? Tim and I were hanging around last night watching Aqua Teen when he told me about Wonder Showzen, this show on MTV2 he caught after watching Subterranean the night before (see my previous post...no, I don't work for MTV). Anyway, it sounded mildly interesting...a twisted kids show with weird puppets and little kids saying crazy shit, strange cartoons, etc. Well it happened to be coming on, so we stayed up to watch.

Let me tell you, it's fucking awesome. It's completely twisted and dark but so hilarious. The kids on the show are great. In one segment, a girl is on Wall Street “interviewing” businessmen, asking them questions like “How many people have you exploited today?” or offering them a napkin “for the blood on [their] hands.” Then there are these bizarre cartoons and old educational films overdubbed and re-edited, some of which are really brilliant. I laughed out loud I don't know how many times, and that just doesn't happen much when I watch TV.

It sort of reminds me of a cross between Robert Smigel's Saturday TV Funhouse and the “Druggachusetts” sketch from Mr. Show. Anyway, if you're into weird dark humour, I recommend it.

+ Go here to see the pilot episode.
+ MTV2 has some clips here.

No comments: