4.08.2005

We Could Walk Together

Good news on two recent favorite bands of mine:

The Clientele are touring the states in June, including a stop at DC's 9:30 Club on the 3rd. Looks like they're playing in suppport of a another Merge Records band, Spoon.

I first saw the Clientele a few years ago having only heard a single song. My friend convinced me to go regardless. It was a good show (in fact, it convinced me to buy their excellent singles collection, Suburban Light), but having heard so little of their material prevented me from enjoying it as much I would have otherwise. I'm not too familiar with Spoon, but I'm planning to go just to hear the openers since I've now listened to just about everything I can get my hands on by them. A lot. Oh, and it looks like their second album will be coming out sometime later this year.

Another awesome Merge band, the Rosebuds, are set to release a new 6 song EP on April 12. You can stream the entire record from here. It's good shit. “El Camino” especially floats my boat. There's a Pitchfork review of the EP as well, if you care what they have to say.

No local tour dates from those guys, yet. Hopefully they'll hit DC sometime this summer.

You know what? Merge is a pretty damn good label. I mean, they've put out their share of crap over the years, and I was never really into Superchunk, but the number of their bands I really like is pretty impressive. I don't know if I could say the same for many other labels.

My favs:

The Clean
The Clientele
Ganger
David Kilgour
Neutral Milk Hotel
The Rosebuds
M. Ward

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

The Rosebuds are totally awesome, I've seen them twice in the last few months and they are great live, though their sets tend to be a little short (that's not always a bad thing though).

Also, The Clientele... yesssssss

Jeff said...

Yeah, I've seen the Rosebuds a few times. Really good stuff. I'm hoping they'll tour around here this summer, before I take off.