1.14.2005

Potluck

I had a good time last night. Tim, Jonathan, and I went out to our friend Andy's newly relocated monthly DJ nite, Potluck, at Wonderland in Columbia Heights (DC). I'd never been there before, so I didn't really know what to expect.

We arrived shortly before 10 to find a bustling crowd hanging out downstairs, near the main bar, with hip hop playing on the jukebox. Upstairs, Andy and friends were DJing to a smaller group lounging at tables and on a couple of low-slung couches. The space was nice and clean, but pretty laid-back. [Just like me!] Low-key lighting, hardwood floors, brick red walls with various LP jackets hanging on them, and lots of windows overlooking 11th St made for a more than decent atmosphere. At one end of the long room was a small, full-service bar with about six beers on tap and a cute bartender. At the other was the DJ/stage area. Although no one was making any use of it last night (it's DC, remember), there was also plenty of room for dancing in between the DJ and the sitting area.

The music was great. Andy played a good mix (hence the name “Potluck”) of upbeat rock: Velvet Underground, the Fall, and the Feelies, to name a few. My personal fav was Love's “Can't Explain” followed by “Throw Aggi Off the Bridge” by Black Tambourine (who covered the previous song)—smart!

It was good to just hang out, have a couple beers, and listen to some cool tunes, without being cramped and having to scream over the music like I would at my usual DJ night.

A regular date has not yet been announced, but Andy says look for the next Potluck one Thursday in February.

2 comments:

Jen said...

Ah, the Feelies. Now there's a blast from the past. I miss bands like the Feelies, Lloyd Cole and the Commotions, The GoBetweens, Yo La Tengo. The Beta Band kinda went in this direction, but nobody listened to them and they broke up.

Jeff said...

The Go-Betweens...hmmm. I pretty sure I've heard them before but I can't place any of their songs.