1.16.2005

Pass the Timosil

I've just finished watching the first season DVDs of Fox's Arrested Development a second time. Man, what an awesome show. I don't think I've seen anything on broadcast television quite like it. It's a wonder it hasn't been cancelled already!

The writing is top-notch, for one. It has this weird blend of really subtle and completely over-the-top moments to it. I mean, there are just as many dry, sarcastic lines as there are prat falls or fart jokes. This dynamic is at least partially character-driven, though the same could be said for the show itself. Michael (Jason Bateman), for example, is like the straight man in the middle being driven crazy and is very dry and acerbic, while Buster (Tony Hale) is at times a complete imbecile—hilariously childish and goofy.

Which brings me to the other cool thing about the show: the amazing ensemble cast, including one of my favorite comedians, David Cross(Mr. Show, Shut Up You Fucking Baby) as Tobias Funke. He's really good, of course, though I can't say he's my favorite character. Gob, played by Will Arnett (Amy Poehler's husband) and George Michael (Michael Cera) are probably my two favs, but all of them are funny (that's the ensemble part). There are also some cool cameos, including plenty of Mr. Show cast members and various other “out-of-the-mainstream” comedians (e.g. Poehler and her fellow Upright Citizens).

What else can I say? This is a really good show. It's got clever writing, a great cast with funny people...oh, and fart jokes, a couple of fart jokes here and there. Let's just hope it's not too good, if you know what I mean.

No comments: