3.21.2006

Stop-Gap/Premonition

Hey folks. Just a quick update in lieu of a real post (coming soon!!1)...

First off, did I call it or what? Pitchfork gave the Band of Horses record a glowing review yesterday (along with an eight-point-eight and a "best new music" tag). The significance? Well, lets just say that when I was logged into my favorite P2P app yesterday afternoon, practically everyone downloading from me had Band of Horses queued. I counted at least fifteen or so. I was wondering what the hell was going on, but when I checked Pitchfork it all made sense. I'd had a hunch, and sure enough there it was. Hype machine or not, it can't be denied that those people are tastemakers.

Also, the new Stereolab record, Fab Four Suture, is actually pretty damn good! Listen to "Get a Shot Of The Refrigerator" and tell me it's not bad ass. More of the same is not a bad thing when it's quality stuff.

The French film, Cache, is excellent but very frustrating. A good review can be found here. [Warning: kinda spoiler-y]

New updates coming soon:

Hey, Remember the 90's? - a new band sounds like bands did when I was new to new bands.

Girls With Guitars - a trio of intriguing folky females from the past.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

yea man the Band of Horses is dope. i realized where I heard them before. It was a site called catbirdseat. You should check them out, I've been finding lots of cool bands through that guy.

Anyway, thanks to your reminder,my new fav song from Band of Horses, 'The First Song', is now on my gf's mix CD.

Jeff said...

Joey! Thanks for the heads up. I'm always on the lookout for good music blogs.

Jen said...

Hey, I'm so about them. Off to download some stuff. However, I'm disappointed with their name. (Likewise, I'm disappointed with bands that have great names and lame-ass music.)

Jeff said...

Cool. I hear ya on the name. Interestingly, they were originally called just "Horses" but had to change the name for some reason.