3.05.2006

A Little Bit Country, A Little Bit Rock y Roll

Band of Horses is a local Seattle band about to make it big. They recently signed to Sub Pop to release their debut album, Everything All the Time, which comes out on March 21st. While I try never to play favorites when it comes to music (because, lets face it, there's just way too much good shit out there at any given time), I have to admit they are indeed my current favorite band. I just can't stop listening to them.

Solid indie rock (a la its 90's heyday) and lonesome country-ish tunes combine to deliver one of the strongest debuts I've heard in a long time. The midtempo rockers remind me a bit of Built To Spill, especially when it comes to the vocals. Some of the slower, twangy tracks like “I Go To the Barn Because I Like the,” “Monsters” and “St. Augustine” wouldn't sound out place on an Iron & Wine record.

There was a substantial article published in this week's Stranger to coincide with their show last night at Neumo's. I definitely recommend checking that out for a more in-depth look at the band. And you can bet that yours truly was in attendence at the show, but guess what? I was sick with the flu and had to leave after only three songs from Band of Horses because I couldn't stop shivering. Oh, what luck! Anyway, last night was the first stop on tour which will take them through most of the Western half of the country, including a spot at SXSW on March 17th. If I remember correctly, the band mentioned they'd be hitting the East Coast sometime after that. I urge you to see them without a fever.

Since the band's MySpace profile currently features my absolute favorite song from the album, “The Funeral,” here's another song to enjoy, the appropriately-titled album opener.

Band of Horses: “The First Song” [MP3]

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

awesome! can't wait to check them out.

Anonymous said...

funny, i actually had these guys bookmarked. but it was before their first album was released. thanks for the reminder.

also. DUDE. what's up! you're too busy now. we gotta hang though. i miss the JEFFSTER.

Anonymous said...

BTW, emily and I got tickets to see pinback on april 23rd @ the showbox if you're down. i can't wait to finally see them. lemme know if you decide to go.