4.24.2005

What blog?

On the rocksI haven't been posting much lately, have I? In part, I've been preoccupied with a new online addiction called flickr, but mostly I just don't have much to say. This past weekend was spent solitary style. I watched Jim Jarmusch's Dead Man, took some photos, and talked to Wally. It was what I have termed a sleepy weekend.


So what does it mean when finding new music online is the highlight of your weekend?

The Pernice Brothers: Discover a Lovelier You

I've been waiting patiently for this one to come out. 2003's Yours, Mine, and Ours was one of my favorites that year, so I've had high expectations for the follow-up. While it's not to be released until June 14th, I found an “evaluation” copy over the weekend and have been really enjoying it so far. Chamber pop is what some people call it, I guess because it has strings and stuff. There's a Beach Boys/Brian Wilson vibe in there, apparently. I dunno, but they remind me at times of The Smiths, and one song in particular on Yours... sounds a lot like janglier moments (e.g. "Inbetween Days") of the Cure. Then again, I'm terrible at connecting the musical dots.

> Visit their official site.
> Listen to “There Goes the Sun”

Mice Parade: Bem-Vinda Vontade
Here's one that's already out. The sixth album from Adam Pierce follows in the footsteps of one my favorites of last year, Obrigado Saudade. This record is even more pop than the last, with vocals from Adam in just about every track and the return of Múm's Kristen Valtysdóttir. Doug Scharin, one of Chunklet's most overrated drummers, also appears. The vocals are good, but what I like most (after the overrated drumming, of course) is the dueling nylon guitars—flamenco style.

> Go here to listen to “Night Wave”

The Wedding Present: Take Fountain
WTF? I never got into this band and they've been around since the 80s. This is their first album since 1997 when Dave Gedge started Cinerama instead (thanks, AMG). What a poseur I am only getting into them now, after all this time (thanks, TIM). Just goes to show you that there are way too many good bands out there. Turns out these guys are playing on Sunday, so I might just become the ultimate phony fan and tag along with a couple of my housemates to go see 'em.

> Listen to “Interstate 5”

And hey, guess what? There's an awesome show tomorrow at Warehouse Nextdoor:

Uncut (see my blurb on the music page for a song)
A Place To Bury Strangers (ex-Skywave)
Ceremony (ex-Skywave!)

I'm gonna be brooding my ass off.

4 comments:

LadyLitBlitzin said...

So what did you think of Dead Man? I wanted to like it, I really, really did, and it definitely had parts that knocked my socks off... but for the most part it was really slow for me, something that even my IDOL Johnny Depp couldn't really help. I don't know, I got this weird feeling like I was glad it was made, but just felt ultimately pretty disappointed... or ambivalent... or something.

Hey... I didn't think you were on blogger. What gives?

Jeff said...

I thought it was ok. Way slow, though. I watched it in two parts, actually. Ambivalent is a good way to describe how it made me feel. It was good, but I wouldn't want to watch it again. I'd much rather watch Down By Law or Night On Earth.

Whatta ya mean? I've always been on blogger—since I started this blog, at least. ???

LadyLitBlitzin said...

I didn't realize that this blog was a blogger blog. Isn't that funny? I guess it was sneaky because it didn't have one of the regular templates -- nice work. ;)

Okay, I'm glad that my take on Dead Man is shared and it wasn't just me. It was just kind of excruciating but like I said, with just enough for me to want to see what happened. Two parts sounds about right. ;)

Anonymous said...

your flickr comments are hilarious. good show.